The late Elizabeth Cole.
THE death of Mrs Elizabeth Margery Cole, Nahillah Park, Cloverhill, Co Cavan, at College View Nursing Home on Wednesday, June 20 was received with widespread regret, not only to her immediate family but those throughout the county and further afield who had known and respected the Cole family. A member of the Harman family, originally from Crossdrum, Oldcastle, she would have celebrated her 93rd birthday next month.
She received her early education at French School in Bray from 1933-1936 and received a Cambridge School certificate in 1936. She attended Trinity College, Dublin from October 1936 and did an honours course in Natural Science, including zoology, geography, geology, botany and moderatorship.
Her degree subjects were zoology, geography and geology. In 1940 she received a B.A. Mod. Hons in Natural Sciences at Trinity College, also a H.Dip.Ed. in 1941 and was one of the first to obtain a degree with geography as one of the science subjects. While at Trinity she played on the college's first tennis team. She took a course in education from October 1942 to June 1943 as well as gaining a Higher Diploma in Education in June 1943.
She taught for 11 years beginning in January 1941 at Hall School, Monkstown where she taught geography and nature study. At Alexandra College, Dublin in 1942 her teaching subjects were zoology, botany and geography. Her next assignment was at Wood Lodge, Annsborough, Co Down in September 1943 where she taught nature study, biology and elementary science. She remained there until April 1945 before moving on to Raven's Croft, Eastbourne in Sussex in September 1945 to teach biology. After one year she took up a post in Beresford House School, also in Eastbourne to teach biology and geography. She then taught at Heathfield Girls School in Ascot, Berkshire, where one of her students was Princess Alexandra.
Mrs Cole had a deep devotion to the Church of Ireland where her many activities included Diocesan President of the Mothers Union and was also General Vice-President of the All-Ireland M.U. for three years. She was a Parish Reader in St John's Church, Cloverhill; was on the Diocesan Synod for 35 years and the General Synod for 13 years; a member of the Diocesan Council of Kilmore; the Diocesan Board of Education for 10 years and on the Episcopal Electorate for Kilmore Diocese.
She was a direct descendent of 1st Baron Mountflorence and married John C. Cole in 1952, who later became a Senator in Dail Eireann. They resided in Tullyhumphry, Redhills, before moving to Cloverhill. She supported many charitable causes during her lifetime including the National Council for the Blind and Daffodil Day in aid of the Irish Cancer Society.
She will be greatly missed by the community especially in Cloverhill where her life priorities were (1) Family; (2) Church Activities; (3) Gardening, looking after the daffodils (4) a Keen Naturalist and (5); she hunted with the Ballymacad Foxhounds where her father, Arthur Harman, was Master for many years and also hunted with Fermanagh Harriers. She was also a keen photographer and a cine projectionist. A kind, caring person with a keen sense of humour, she lived during her last remaining years with her daughter Susan.
She is survived by her sons, John and David and daughters, Mrs Susan McCauley and Mrs Jeanie Clark; mother-in-law of Jim, Joanna, Joe and Eleanor and grandmother of Christopher, Emily, Matthew, Tristan and Imogen.
The funeral took place on Saturday, June 23 after Service in St John's Parish Church, Cloverhill, followed by burial in the adjoining churchyard. The Rector Canon Steve Clark conducted the funeral service, assisted by Rev Tania Woods, Canon Mark Lidwill and Rev Sandra Lindsay.