We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Anglo Celt website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.


Cavan comedian blasts Al Porter's apology as "cop-out"

Monday, 20th November, 2017 9:00am

Cavan comedian blasts Al Porter's apology as

23 NEW al porter pic 1.jpg

Seamus Enright

A Cavan comedian, one of four men to accuse Al Porter of inappropriate sexual misconduct, has described the TV and radio host's apology at the weekend as a “cop out”.
Mr Porter (24) quit his job at Today FM and stepped aside from the Olympia's Christmas panto, with TV3 also to decide over the future hosting of Ireland's 'Blind Date', after allegations first appeared in The Times Irish edition last Saturday, November 19.

Davey Reilly (27) told The Anglo-Celt this week the "apology" Porter released seemed to him to be "a cop out".

He added that in his opinion it seemed to be arrogant and lacking in remorse.
The Swellan native, who worked for Mr Porter at a comedy night, claimed he was first groped by the fellow comedian in 2014.
The allegations, concerning Mr Porter's backstage behaviour, allegedly involved him putting his hands down Mr Reilly's trousers, after paying him for a gig in Dublin, and subsequently in the bathroom of the Gilded Balloon in Edinburgh in August 2015.
Mr Reilly is considered a rising star on the Irish comedy scene, working for online comedy channel 'Facts', as well as RTE, BBC and MTV in the past. Last Friday, he performed his latest stand-up routine to a home audience at the Townhall Arts Centre in Cavan Town, after which he paid tribute to the support shown by his family and friends in the wake of the revelations.
“The huge support from folks at home has been brilliant and hugely appreciated,” he said.
Reacting to the allegations, Mr Porter said, through his Pink Tie Productions company, his behaviour was “in keeping” with his “flamboyant and outrageous public persona”, but apologised for any distress caused.
“I have been completely taken aback by reports in the media and on the social networks over the weekend and by the scale and tone of the vitriol. While my conduct, which had been in keeping with my flamboyant and outrageous public persona may be regarded as offensive and unacceptable by many people, I at no time intended to upset anyone,” Mr Porter's statement read.
He added: “Up until now, I had been unaware of these complaints or the impact of my conduct and I am truly sorry for any distress I may have caused in what I had regarded as light-hearted and good-natured circumstances.
“Although, on legal advice, I cannot comment on specific allegations at the present time, I nonetheless sincerely apologise to anyone I may have genuinely offended.”

The Times also revealed a separate complaint was raised with Today FM regarding unsolicited sexual messages Mr Porter is alleged to have sent over Facebook to a musician earlier this year.
It said the station spoke with the comic over allegations circulating on social media.
It has been reported that Dublin-born Mr Porter could lose €500,000 in income resulting from the fallout of the allegations against him.