Gallagher pitches Presidential bid to Cavan County Council

Story by Seamus Enright

Wednesday, 5th September, 2018 10:18am

Gallagher pitches Presidential bid to Cavan County Council

Sean Gallagher and his wife Trish on the campaign trail in 2011.

The Corporate Policy Group of Cavan County Council is meeting tomorrow afternoon to consider, among other matters, whether Sean Gallagher must address them at their monthly meeting next week is his bid for their nomination to contest the Presidential election.

Cavan man Seán Gallagher has already pitched his bid to become a presidential candidate before the elected members of neighbouring Leitrim County Council and secured that local authority's support but he needs three more councils on board.

It is not yet known whether Mr Gallagher will have to address members of Cavan County Council in a similar manner at next week's meeting. The Council's CPG will meet tomorrow (Thursday) to decide on the matter.
Last week, following Mr Gallagher's announcement he would once again seek a nomination, Cavan County Councillor John Paul Feeley (Fianna Fáil) tweeted: 'Delighted to have today tabled a motion asking @cavancoco to nominate @seangallagher1 as a Candidate for the forthcoming Presidential Election. I wish him every success and am sure that, if elected he would be an excellent President.'
It’s expected should no further nominations be forthcoming, Cavan County Council would give their backing to Mr Gallagher.
Before the Summer recess, members had heard from prospective presidential election candidate Marie Goretti Moylan from Athlone.
On Monday last, Mr Gallagher said of the now infamous 2011 RTÉ Frontline presidential debate, chaired by Pat Kenny, that he felt he had let himself down, and those who had nominated him also.
In his first public comment on the 'Tweetgate' saga, the Ballyhaise native told Leitrim councillors it was his belief the controversy had altered the outcome of the 2011 presidential election. He subsequently he had felt compelled “to hold RTÉ accountable”.
“I wish to say sorry to all those who changed their vote because they lost confidence in me,” he added.
The former Dragon’s Den panellist furthermore apologised to the more than 500,000 people who had come out to vote for him in the election.
After coming second to Michael D Higgins in 2011, Gallagher announced last week that he would contest the presidential race again following weeks of speculation.
Mr Gallagher must win the backing of 20 members of the Dáil and Seanad, or four full local authorities, to get on the ballot for the election on October 26.
In the past week it has been reported that Mr Gallagher has moved to step aside from his business interests, stepping down as the head of office building company, Clyde Real Estate, and moving aside as president of US health company, Nutribrand.
Further arrangements have been put in place to sever other commercial interests if Mr Gallagher is elected to Áras an Uachtaráin.
He has also taken leave from writing a weekly column for a Sunday newspaper.
During 2011 election race, Mr Gallagher secured the backing of Meath, Leitrim and Clare county councils, and Cork City Council.
Fellow Dragon Den panellist and businessman Gavin Duffy, meanwhile, received his first endorsement from a local authority to contest the Presidential Election by securing the backing of Meath County Council.
Mr Duffy secured 17 votes to Mr Gallagher's seven, with Independent Senator Joan Freeman receiving two votes.
The nine members of Fine Gael on Meath County Council ignored a request from party headquarters and voted for Mr Duffy. The remaining eight votes he received from Independent and non-party candidates.

Post a Comment

blog comments powered by Disqus

SHARE