Ireland's oldest soccer clubs gets newest pitch in the land
The oldest soccer club in Ireland, Clones Town FC now has the newest pitches in the land having transformed a 4.7 acre site at Carn.
The fantastic facilities include a full international sized senior pitch with perimetre fencing, and a complimentary standard juvenile pitch. Named Clones Town FC John Delaney Park, the FAI chief was delighted to attend the launch on Friday evening and present medals to some of the players. The pitches - laid by contractor Tom McManus - will be playable from April.
New dressing room facilities are the next item on the club's to-do list, and they embarking on a campaign to raise the funds. The club hope to stage a summer tournament next year, based on a Clones Town Street League.
The club has around 70 young people play for their juvenile teams and club chairman Sarto Quigley told The Anglo-Celt that with the new pitches he expects that number to riase to between 160-200 children.
The field development group consisted of Alo Mohan, Martin Shannon, Maureen McDonald and Sarto, who thanked them for their help on the project, together with Fintan McPhillips.
Clones Town FC was formed in 1885, but they can trace their roots back to 1879, when it started off as Clones Redhands before evolving into Clones Fusiliers, and finally Clones Town FC. Sarto Quigley assures the Celt that Clones FC is Ireland's oldest club.
The club's senior team gained promotion to the Cavan Monaghan League Premiership after winning the first division title, while the juveniles play in the schoolboys league.