Mccartin wont contest general election
Leitrim Fine Gael Councillor John McCartin – who has been the face of the local takeover of the former Quinn companies - has decided against contesting the next General Election.
In announcing his decision the current Cathaoirleach of Leitrim County Council cited a potential conflict of interest in his role between Quinn Business Retention Company (QBRC), Quinn Industrial Holdings Limited (QIHL) and the duties of a Dáil candidate or parliamentarian.
Fine Gael had approached the local elected representative earlier this year regarding the possibility of him standing for election in the newly formed Sligo/Leitrim/ West Cavan/ South Donegal constituency.
However it's understood that his role in acting as a mediator for the Quinn family in their ongoing conflict with former Anglo Irish Bank, now IBRC, had raised some eyebrows within the party ranks.
Mr McCartin is expected to make a formal announcement at a meeting of West Cavan members of the Fine Gael party tonight (Wednesday, September 1) in the Loughbawn Hotel in Killeshandra.
Referring to his role in the Quinn family's affairs, Mr McCartin said: “responding to countless requests from my constituents, I became involved in seeking a solution and eventually headed up a local buy out of all the Quinn construction industry supply businesses and Quinn Packaging. The buyout has guaranteed the long term survival and return to profitability and growth of a €200m business which will be an anchor for economic stability in the region for generations to come.
“Initially it was my expectation that all the issues surrounding the appointment of the share receiver could be resolved before now. However, the enormity and complexity of the problem means that if I am to remain committed to working towards full resolution, I will be unable to put my name forward at the Fine Gael selection convention on September 18,” he told The Anglo-Celt.
Voicing his pride in assisting the consolidation of the Quinn Group under local management, he commented: “I look forward to working towards complete resolution of all outstanding matters. Having had a keen interest in politics at all levels since a very young age, I am extremely disappointed to not be contesting the the next general election, however, my duty and commitment for the next number of months would not be compatible with the duties of a Dail candidate or parliamentarian.
“The support and encouragement I have received from the Fine Gael party locally over the last few years has been humbling and it is with a heavy heart I have made this decision,” Mr McCartin said.