Chef's Dlight: Jam drop cookies
Recipe by Shane Smith
225g soft butter
140g caster sugar
1 medium egg yolk
dash vanilla essence
280g plain flour
2 tsp cornflour
100g berry jam
150g icing sugar
· In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and pale in colour.
· Scrape down the sides and add the egg yolk and vanilla. Mix to combine.
· In a separate bowl, sieve the flour, cornflour and salt.
· Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until fully combined leaving a soft dough.
· Divide the dough into 24 balls (you can freeze the dough at this point if you wish to make a smaller batch)
· Roll the dough between your hands to smooth out and place these balls on lined baking trays. Allow some distance between each cookie as they wil spread during cooking.
· Using the back of a teaspoon or a clean thumb, press into the centre of each cookie leaving a large indent. This will hold your jam.
· Make sure there are no cracks as the jam will leak out.
· Place these into the fridge for 40 minutes to firm up or in the freezer for 20 minutes.
· Once rested and cold, spoon some berry jam into the centre of each cookie.
· Place these into a pre heated oven set at 190C/170C Fan/Gas 5 and bake for 11 minutes.
· Once lightly golden brown, remove from the oven and allow to cool. Please take care at this point as the jam is extremely hot.
· When cooling, in a bowl whisk together the icing sugar and water to make a thick paste.
· Using a fork you can drizzle the icing over the cold cookies and serve.