Fifteen sport clubs to benefit from almost €237K for new equipment
Fifteen sport clubs across County Cavan are set to benefit from almost €237,000 in funding for new equipment.
The news was confirmed this morning by Fianna Fáil TD Brendan Smith, who was notified of the grants by Minister for Sport, Jack Chambers.
The single largest allocation went to the Cavan Kayaking Club, which was granted €34,252 for canoe and kayak equipment; while Blacklion Golf Club is set to receive €30,000; another €30,000 for Ramor Water Sports Club for a wheelchair accessible boat; and Laragh United GAA, €27,755 for a new mower. For a detailed breakdown of all the grants, scroll down.
Welcoming the funding, Deputy Smith said: “This is good news for the successful applicants and will assist in enhancing facilities and will also help to improve participation levels in different sporting disciplines.
"I compliment the different clubs and organisations and their volunteers in preparing successful applications and very importantly providing opportunities for people to take part in different sports."
Priority was given to projects that will increase participation in sports, with a particular emphasis in encouraging increased women’s involvement in sport.
"Since the onset of the Covid pandemic, clubs have faced additional challenges in ensuring that our training and games continued and great credit is due to all; club officers, coaches and players. It is heartening to see so much sport being played locally and nationally at present," said Deputy Smith.
The Minister for Sport has stated that further capital investment in sport under the Sports Capital Programme will be announced later this year.
"I know from speaking to many people involved in different clubs that with increasing numbers of male and female players there is an urgent need to provide clubs with financial assistance towards the development of new facilities,” concluded Deputy Smith.
Cavan sporting organisations to benefit
- 3rd Cavan Virginia Scouting Group, €11,244 for bikes and climbing equipment
- Ballyhaise Celtic Soccer Club, €3,429 for training equipment and defibrillator
- Blacklion Golf Club, €30,000
- Butlersbridge GAA Club, €4,021 for gym and juvenile equipment
- Cavan Canoe Club, €34,252 for canoe and kayak equipment
- Cavan Lakers Basketball, €9,563 for club equipment
- Cavan Triathlon Club, €9,631 for pontoon/defibrillator/paddleboards
- Knockbride GFC, €19,000 for upgrade of sports equipment
- Laragh United GAA, €27,755 for a new mower
- Ramor Water Sports Club, €30,000 for a wheelchair accessible boat
- Smugglers Cycling Club, €8,583 for a Youth cycling initiative
- Virginia Golf Club, €15,048 for golf course maintenance equipment
- Virginia Kayak Club, €13,078 for touring kayaks and storage facilities
- County Cavan Athletic Board, €19,302 for timing equipment
- Cavan/Monaghan Underage League, €1,948 for soccer equipment Equipment