Noel & Valerie Moran pictured at Bective Stud. Photo: John Quirke

Morans hoping to break ground on new 104-bed hotel in the next six months

Planning permission granted for hotel and spa at Bective House

Work on a 104-bedroom hotel and spa at the historic Bective House could begin within six months, according to Noel and Valerie Moran, who bought the house two years ago.

Planning permission has been granted for the development, which includes the re-instatement and change of use of the derelict Bective House.

“We are delighted to get the planning permission after nearly three years of effort to get to this stage,” said Noel Moran.

“This approval now allows us kick on with the project and we have assembled a team of around 25 consultants to get us the next stage which is completion of the tender documents and then appointment of a contractor for the build.

“We hope to have this concluded in the next six months. Work will then start on the hotel build.”

Mr Moran said he wanted to acknowledge the help that the late Cllr Joey Reilly provided to help us get this far.

Planning permission has been granted to Bective Stud Limited for the re-instatement and change of use of the derelict Bective House, the demolition of two extensions to the rear and the addition of new extensions to the rear, to form a hotel with 104 bedrooms.

The development also includes reinstatement of the derelict South Lodge gate lodge and upgrading of the south access driveway and a road bridge over the Clady River.

Existing farming and equine industry activities will remain in situ in the overall land holding of 71.39 ha.

Bective House is located on the banks of the river Boyne, just downstream from Bective Abbey.

In the 1820s Richard Bolton erected a new house in Grange townland downstream from the abbey, making the most of the local scenery. Described as ‘a cottage’ in 1836 and ‘a handsome modern residence’ in 1837 the house is linked to the river and also to the abbey.

The house is in an understated architectural style in the spirit of Francis Johnston.

The front is seven bay with a side elevation of five bays. Indoors the plan was simple. The main house is two rooms deep on a tripartite plan with a large and restrained central stair hall.

Bective house was surrounded by a wide expanse of parkland, dotted with clumps of trees and secluded from the outside world by perimeter belts of trees. The plantation of these trees and creation of parkland led to the walling in of the demesne and the re-routing of the Trim-Navan road. Impressive ashlar gateways were erected at each entrance to estate with gate lodges at each and an additional number of houses to cater for workers on the estate.

The gate lodge at the Trim entrance was erected in 1852 and is adorned by the Bolton crest.

The Bolton family acquired Bective in 1630. The transfer of the manor of Bective from Bartholomew Dillon to Edward Bolton took place on 10 August 1630. Sir Richard Bolton was Lord Chancellor of Ireland in 1639 and established himself at Brazeel in north County Dublin.

Richard Bolton was High Sheriff of County Meath in 1828.

It was also confirnmed this week that Noel and Valerie Moran of Bective Stud will be the new sponsor of all Meath underage football teams from u-14 to u-20 and their logo will also appear on the senior team's jerseys.