Triple lemon cookies
- Recipe by chef Shane Smith -
(Makes 24 Cookies)
2tbsp lemon zest
150g caster sugar
55g brown sugar
One medium egg
A dash vanilla
290g plain flour
1tsp bread soda
A pinch salt
100g caster sugar
1tbsp lemon zest
A dash vanilla
200g icing sugar
· For the cookie batter, cream the butter, caster sugar, brown sugar and lemon zest until soft.
· To this add the egg and vanilla. Mix until combined.
· Once mixed, add the flour, cornflour, salt & bread soda. Mix.
· Chilled the batter for two hours before baking.
· For the candied lemon peel, using a peeler, peel the rind from the lemon and chop into thin slices.
· Add the water, sugar and chopped peel to a saucepan and bring to a boil for 2-3 minutes or until the peel is soft and not bitter.
· Using a sieve, drain the rind from the syrup.
· Pat the lemon peel dry using a kitchen cloth and sprinkle with caster sugar and set aside until needed. Ideally overnight.
· To bake the cookies, preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan.
· Turn the cookie dough onto a floured work surface and divide the dough into 24 balls.
· Place these onto two lined trays and press down slightly and pop into the preheated oven and bake for 12-14 minutes or until lightly golden brown around the edges.
· Once baked, allow to cool on the tray.
· For the lemon buttercream, into a mixing bowl, add all the ingredients and mix until smooth and creamy.
· To decorate, spoon on some buttercream onto the cooled cookie and top with candied lemon peel.
ABOUT THE CHEF
Shane Smith from Lavey can be seen on Today with Maura and Daithí on RTE One.
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY: