Augustine’s Hall revamp approved
Plans to build a new three-storey extension to the rear of St Augustine’s Hall in Cavan Town for Cavan-Monaghan ETB to use as a new centre for education have been given the go-ahead.
The development at St Augustine’s Hall, facing into Farnham Street, will consist of conservation works to the existing protected building including walls, windows, thermal upgrade, and also mechanical and electrical upgrades. The demolition of a rear return, the conservation and refurbishment of internal rooms and all associated site and landscaping works are also provided for in the planning permission.
Cavan County Council conditional granted planning permission for the development to the Parish of Urney and Annagelliff.
The former day seminary was built in 1829 after Bishop Browne bought land from John Maguire, land agent to Lord Farnham. The seminary later moved to St Patrick’s College.
The plans for the protected structure forms phase two of a major investment project by the parish, which began with an investment of close to €2 million at the Cathedral of Saints Patrick & Felim.
The building will be used for two classrooms, two offices and a canteen on the ground floor, two classrooms and an office on the first floor, while the basement will accommodate a student canteen and two more classrooms.
The extension to the rear will house a plant room, storage room, bathrooms, a classroom, three offices and a reception area at ground floor level.
Included in the conditions are that the developer will pay €6,900 to the local authority in respect of public infrastructure and facilities benefiting development in the area.
All works shall be overseen by a suitably qualified conservation architect.