Ten-year driving ban for three-time drink driver

A RUSSIAN man, caught driving while drunk for a third time, was put off the road for 10 years but had a prison sentence suspended, when the matter came before Monaghan District Court recently.

Ludvigs Rusins (48) with an address at Main Street, Ballybay, Co Monaghan, pleaded guilty to driving with excess alcohol, and also to having no insurance nor driving licence at Derrynaloobinagh, Ballybay, on June 2, 2025.

Sergeant Lisa McEntee said the defendant had three previous convictions for drink driving and driving uninsured; and that he was disqualified from driving for eight years in 2021.

It was conceded by Joe Smith BL that his client had “an atrocious record”. He had been in Ireland for over 10 years and was a father of three who was in full-time employment up until three months ago but is now out of work.

In spite of the poor record, the barrister said he was duty bound to ask the court not to impose a custodial sentence on the defendant.

Imposing a 10-year driving ban for the excess alcohol, Judge Ciaran Liddy, also fined the defendant €150 with six months allowed for payment.

A six-month prison sentence was also handed down, but suspended for six months in view of the early plea.

The other counts were taken into consideration on that basis.