We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. We also use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Anglo Celt website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time by amending your browser settings.


Rapist tracked to Ballyconnell

Thursday, 3rd April, 2014 1:41pm

Rapist tracked to Ballyconnell

Convicted rapist Dubliner Trevor Byrne has been tracked to Ballyconnell.

A convicted rapist has been tracked to Cavan after the serial criminal fled Dublin. Trevor Byrne has been living in an apartment in Ballyconnell and is being monitored 24/7 by gardai who fear he may re-offend.

On Monday, The Irish Daily Star reported that he was living in a B&B in the north inner city after his release from the Midlands Prison in Portlaoise.
Byrne was then moved to Ballyconnell and sources yesterday confirmed to The Anglo-Celt that he is present in the town and under watch.

The serial criminal and drug addict, of O’Devanny Gardens off the North Circular Road, has only spent mere hours out of prison in the last 20 years and gardai are fearful he may strike again. He was released after being convicted of an attempted burglary in Phibsboro, Dublin in September of 2009.

The habitual offender followed a woman home on the northside of the capital and forced himself into her house before bringing her upstairs. The terrified woman managed to alert a housemate and Byrne fled the scene. That attack happened less than 24 hours after being released from prison for another crime.


It is not Byrne’s first time in the county. In 1998, he and six other heroin addicts went on a crime spree in the county involving crashing stolen cars, narcotics and robberies. The gang were caught by gardai and apologised to a court in Ballyjamesduff for “all the annoyance caused to the people of Cavan and Monaghan and the gardai”.

In 2005, he was handed a prison sentence for attacking a Filipino nurse and threatening to slash her throat. When that attack occurred he had just completed a prison term for a heinous crime committed in the nineties. He was handed a 15-year sentence for the rape of an 18-year-old girl. He hit the teen with a brick and told her he had to kill her.

Separetly, a sex offender who went missing for 75 days was traced to the county and arrested on Tuesday. The Celt understands that 45-year-old Lorcan Halton (pictured below) is in custody after authorities traced him to Cavan and arrested him last night.

He was last seen getting on board a ferry on Thursday, January 9, bound for Belfast. The Celt further understands he had been living in the Loch Gowna area, where he is originally from. A hunt for Halton, from the Saracen area of Glasgow, was launched after he failed to appear at court in January.

However, police and prosecutors have so far refused to reveal details of his crimes or why he was due in court, according to the Scottish Daily Record. Scottish police appealed on Monday for the public's assistance after extensive inquiries initially proved unsuccessful. The public were warned at the time not to approach him.