Staff praised for quick response after hospital fire

Fire crews responded to two incidents.

Staff at Cavan General Hospital have been praised for their quick response after a fire in a bathroom this week.

At around 2.30am on Monday morning an extractor fan in a bathroom caught fire.

Emergency services were summoned but the fire had been extinguished by the time the fire service arrived at the scene.

Chief Fire Officer Noel O’Reilly praised staff at the hospital for their “prompt action to extinguish the fire prior to our arrival”. Units from Cavan town and Belturbet responded to the scene.

The incident is being treated as an accidental fire.

Management at Cavan General Hospital has been contacted for comment.

House fire

Shortly afterwards, the alarm was raised as a house was on fire in the Drumalore area, close to Belturbet.

Fire services from Cavan Town and Belturbet again responded to the scene after the fire broke out shortly before 6am yesterday.

The house was described as “well alight” by the time emergency services arrived.

The building’s roof collapsed in the fire and the house was completely destroyed.

A man, who was living in the house and was asleep at the time, was treated for smoke inhalation. He did not require any further medical treatment.