Fiosrú sends file to DPP following death of man in Dublin

By Cate McCurry, Press Association

The policing watchdog Fiosrú has sent a file to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) after it finished an investigation into the death of a man in Dublin.

Paul Butler, 51, from Dublin, died following an incident, during which he had contact with gardaí, on O’Connell Street in the city on August 15 last year.

Fiosrú, the Office of the Police Ombudsman, said it has concluded its independent investigation into the death of Butler.

The police oversight body said it has forwarded its investigation file to the DPP and it is awaiting direction from prosecutors.

It is believed that Butler hit his head on the ground following the interaction with gardaí. He was taken to hospital but died days later.

Fiosrú opened its independent statutory investigation hours after the incident following a mandatory referral from An Garda Síochána.

The referral was made by a Garda Superintendent under the Policing, Security and Community Safety Act 2024, which requires Fiosrú to initiate an investigation to establish whether or not an act or omission of a garda or gardaí may have resulted in a person’s death or serious harm.

Fiosrú’s investigation involved two separate witness appeals.

Fiosrú said its investigators continue to liaise with Mr Butler’s family, who have been notified that a file has been sent to the DPP.

A garda member was arrested and questioned after Mr Butler’s death and was suspended from duty. The garda has also been notified of Fiosrú’s decision.

Fiosrú said it is precluded from making any further comment at this time.

An Garda Síochána has been contacted for comment.