Cavan beaten by Galway in league opener

Story by Paul Fitzpatrick

Sunday, 27th January, 2019 4:16pm

Cavan beaten by Galway in league opener

Thomas Galligan.

Cavan 0-11

Galway 0-13

Paul Fitzpatrick

at Pearse Stadium

Cavan’s National League campaign got off to a disappointing start against Galway today as the Tribesmen ran out comfortable winners in Salthill.

While there were only two points in it at the end, the scoreline flattered the visitors, who were five down entering injury time before finishing with three point in succession.

In a poor match, Cavan competed well in the first half but were very poor in the second for the most part before a late rally.

At half-time, the sides were deadlocked at 0-5 apiece, with Cavan having played against the wind.

Graham’s side got off to a bright start and were well on top in the opening 20 minutes.  Padraig Cunningham fielded well and knocked over the opening score but a free from league debutant Pierce Smith and a point from play by Conor Madden nudged the visitors into the lead.

An excellent free-kick from goalkeeper Ray Galligan made it 0-3 to 0-1 before Cavan spurned their first goal chance, Jack Brady’s shot dropping short after a powerful run from full-back Padraig Faulkner.

Peter Cooke pulled one back but a superb free from Martin Reilly – Cavan’s best player on the day - from the right wing and a good score from a tight angle from Jack Brady made it 0-5 to 0-2 on 23 minutes.

However, that was as good as it got for the away team. Galway fired over a hat-trick of points from Shane Walsh (free), David Wynne and Johnny Heaney (a goal chance which Ray Galligan turned over the bar brilliantly) to level matters at the break.

And although Cavan regained the initiative with a point from Reilly just 10 seconds after the restart, Galway quickly got on top, with Cavan’s cause not helped by Killian Brady, Killian Clarke and Martin Reilly all picking up black cards, reducing Cavan’s number to 12 at one stage.

A sideline ball from Jack Brady made it 0-8 apiece on 48 minutes but Cavan’s attack was malfunctioning by then and Galway moved through the gears to make it 0-13 to 0-8 before late scores from Reily (free), sub Cian Mackey and Madden (free).


Post a Comment

blog comments powered by Disqus